Erin L. McDermit
Erin provides strategic employment counseling advice and represents employers in litigation. She represents companies and executives in employment related-litigation, be it a court proceeding, arbitration, mediation, or an appearance before enforcement agencies such as the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (“EEOC”), Department of Fair Employment and Housing (“DFEH”) or the Labor Commissioner at the Department of Labor Standards Enforcement (“DLSE”). She has also litigated cases involving employee theft of company property and trade secrets, restrictive covenants, breach of fiduciary duty, and contract disputes.
She regularly advises clients on a wide range of employment issues including:
- Employment practices and compliance in daily operations
- Leaves of absence
- Disability accommodations
- Wage & hour and other compensation disputes
- Harassment and discrimination claims
- Severance pay issues
- Reductions in force and office closures
- Litigation avoidance
Detailed information about the full suite of employment law services Erin provides and the type of employment matters she handles can be found here.
In every case, Erin provides advice specifically tailored to help her clients approach the issue from a practical management standpoint. As an advocate for the company, Erin counsels to support the front-line owner, supervisor, or manager with understandable legal guidance and a thoughtful plan of action. In complex employment litigation, Erin works closely with clients to resolve the dispute efficiently, and has successfully defended employers during each stage of the litigation process.
In addition to her counseling and litigation practice, Erin is an experienced investigator, and conducts neutral investigations into employee complaints of harassment, discrimination, retaliation, and violation of company policies for companies of all sizes.
Prior to becoming an attorney Erin worked for several years in technology publishing as an Advertising Manager and Editor.
Publications and Speaking Engagements
Erin regularly conducts trainings for managers on Sexual Harassment, Discrimination, and Retaliation Prevention and Manager Best Practices. She has also written numerous articles on California employment laws and frequently speaks to Human Resources organizations, local organizations such as Chambers of Commerce, and to management teams about new employment laws and other employment law topics, and has also been a guest lecturer at Santa Clara University Law School. A list of programs Erin provides can be found here.
- California, 2005
- J.D., Santa Clara University, 2005;
- Cali award-winner in Employment Law
- Santa Clara Law Review Comments Editor
- Research Assistant to Dean of Law School
- B.A. with honors, Mills College, 1992; Communications
- Mills College Weekly Features Editor
- The Putney School, Putney, Vermont
- Santa Clara County Bar Association
- Association of Workplace Investigators (AWI)
- Chair, Board of Directors of Palo Alto Chamber of Commerce, 2017
- Member, Board of Directors of Palo Alto Chamber of Commerce 2000-2017
- Past Member, Board of Directors of Stevenson House
- Past Member, Finance and Personnel Committee of the Shelter Network of San Mateo County
- Past Member, Amicus Committee, Silicon Valley Campaign for Legal Services